Oct 13, 2009

How to make a patchwork Lanyard, with fabric scraps.

Last week, I made two Lanyards with fabric scraps again. It's similar to my patchwork string, but I put a cotton tape on the back for this.
Patchwork Lanyard

I write here how I made them. I used a piece of leather on it.
So to make it, you need,
* Fabric scraps
* 1.5cm(0.5 inches) width of Cotton tape(or Linen tape), 90cm(1 yard) long
* A piece of leather (1.5cm x 4cm/ 0.5 inches x 1.6 inches)
* A pair of rivet
* Swivel snap
* Tool to rivet, hole punch, riveting tool, rubber plate and a hammer

At first, cut your favorite fabric pieces in 3cm(1.2 inches) width, and totally it should be 90cm(1yard) long.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 1

Sew them and cut it in 90cm(1yard) long.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 2

Open the allowances and iron it.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 3

Fold it in the width of the tape and iron it.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 4

Put it on the tape and sew them together at the both edge lines.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 5

I finished sewing.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 6

Before putting the leather piece, glue the two ends together.
I used my favorite Japanese fast-dry glue.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 10

Put it on the one end, and put the other end on it.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 11

Cut a piece of leather, in 1.5 cm x 4 cm(0.5 inches x 1.6 inches).
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 7

These are my tools for rivet.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 8

Make two holes 5mm(0.2 inches) from both ends.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 9

Put a swivel snap on the center of the leather piece and put it at the end of the lanyard. Then make a hole on the lanyard to put a rivet.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 12

Put a pair of rivets at the hole, and rivet it. I use this rivet tool and wood hammer.
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 13

Finish!
How to make a patchwork Lanyard 14
Patchwork Lanyard

I wanted to make Japanese taste Lanyards.
Patchwork Lanyard
But it might be too simple. Umm...

Patchwork Lanyard
Now I'm out of swivel snaps. I'm preparing two more, but I should wait...

Thank you for reading it.
Have a good day (* v *)!!!!!

20 comments:

jacqueline said...

Dear Mai, i really like this patchwork lanyard! Makes such a nice bag handle! Thank you so much for making this tutorial..i wish i could also make this but right now im learning to make stamps. :) Love to you!

spiced*candy(: said...

wow! i think leather makes the lanyard look extra special & beautiful! :D

Unknown said...

Precioso gracias por compartír. Saludos.

Muiee said...

I like this patchwork lanyard. Very sweet looking and creative! :)

celine said...

Dear Mai, I just found your blog two days ago, and I have fallen in love with your creativity and am so envious of your talent. The items that you make is simply exquisite!!
I spent the last few days (whenever I am free) reading through all of your archives, and am enjoying every single moment of it.
Thanks ALOT for sharing all your beautiful handmades and your very useful tutorials.

greetingarts said...

They're not too simple at all. They're just beautiful, as is everything you do.

Anonymous said...

Getting impatient to try everything you share with us.
Thanks for your generosity.

Hmmmm .. got to stop talking and start working at something ....lol
hanks Mai
Mena :)

Donna said...

So many times I read your blog and thing ohhhh! what a great idea! I have some cotton tape like you used, but never thought to put fabric on one side. Very nice!

Yun Hui Kelsey said...

Mai-san, I have been reading your blog for some time. I just want to say, you are so creative! I wish I could sew like you :) Love your works!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is so, so sweet and pretty. So much detail and thought, I love it. I'll be linking.

Anne said...

So pretty!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-patchwork-lanyard-2/2009/10/16/

--Anne

Vijay Eswaran said...

WOw, where fo you get the leather?
And also the other accessories?

Emi said...

Dear Mai, may you share the measurement of your rivet? Is that 38x15mm?

mairuru said...

Hello,
It's 4.5mm diameter, 5mm long.
It seems a little small for this strap.

Katie Lewis said...

These are lovely! Thank you!

Helenismos said...

Hi Mai, I came across your blog a few days ago and I just love your creativity! Thank you so much for sharing your talent with everybody else. I also wanted to let you know that I've made a couple of your sarubobos and I've posted a link to your blog on mine :0)!

susan said...

this is so sweet! i love your tute
where oh where do you find the swivel snaps? i cant find smallish ones anywhere!

Anonymous said...

so long as you co ordinate the colours the patchwork look is truely unique and lovely. i wish i had known it was so simplistic i have just bought some promo lanyards with my company logo on them for my staff. if i had known i would have made them myself.

Drooling Closet said...

This is Useful and good Blog about Lanyard. Thanks for Sharing this Post.
Lanyard

Susan said...

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment! Important and famous people from throughout history born on this day. Search thousands of historical, noteworthy and Celebrity birthdays in our archives.