Aug 24, 2009

How to make a paperback cover

Bookcover
Finally I can write this tutorial.
It's easy to make it but the pattern is a little complicated, I'm sorry.

Bookcover
The feature of this book cover is adjustable for one side. A side is a pocket, and the other side closes with a cotton tape.

Book cover pattern
For this book cover, you need only two pieces(for outside and inside) of 20.5 cm x 42 cm (without allowances). You also need a piece of cotton tape (of 22 cm long) and a lace or tape for a bookmark.

How to make a bookcover 1
I drew the pattern on a piece of paper like the picture. It's only half of the pattern.

How to make a bookcover 2
I patchworked the outside fabric, so I sewed 20.5 cm x 14 cm and 20.5 cm x 28 cm (without allowances).
If you don't patchwork, please skip the next step.
How to make a bookcover 3
I sewed the two pieces of the outside, then open the allowance.

How to make a bookcover 4
I also added a piece of batten lace on it.

How to make a bookcover 5
I finished the outside.

How to make a bookcover 6
Then put a piece of cotton tape on the inside fabric. I used 2 cm wide tape, but if yours is different size, please put it 9cm from the side.
How to make a bookcover 7
Baste the tape on the allowance.

How to make a bookcover 8
Put the bookmark on the outside fabric(It's OK to put it on the inside fabric). This should be 20 cm from the pocket side. Please note that it should be on the top, not on the bottom.

How to make a bookcover 9
Then put the outside fabric on the inside fabric making the right side inside, and sew the side line of the pocket side.

How to make a bookcover 10
Sew the other side also.

How to make a bookcover 11
Go to the pocket side again. Fold the sewed line inside like the picture making the 6 cm pocket.

How to make a bookcover 12
How to make a bookcover 13
And sew the top and bottom line leaving the space to turn it out. I leave it at the bottom for 5-6 cm.

How to make a bookcover 14
Before turn it out, please cut extra allowances and the corners to make it sharp.

How to make a bookcover 15
Turn it out and close the space with blind stitch.

You did it!!!!!
How to make a bookcover 16
This is the outside,

How to make a bookcover 17
And this side is the inside.

Bookcover
It can hold such a thick book.

If you have any questions, please leave a comment here or e-mail me -> maimairuru(at)gmail(dot)com !

Thank you very much.
Bookcover

28 comments:

jacqueline said...

Mai i love this tutorial! Been wanting to make a book cover for myself and your tutorial will help me alot! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Loving the touch of batten lace! I have yet to find a shop that would let me buy these lovely batten lace. :( I hope you had a good weekend and lots of love to yoU!

greetingarts said...

It's so beautiful and your tutorial is so detailed and full of fantastic photos of each step. A lovely fabric cover like yours would definitely make me want to read more... thank you for this!

Lavinia said...

It´s beautiful! i love this kind of things, thank you for the tutorial, it´s very well explained!

Jessie Fincham said...

thank you so much for writing this tutorial, I've really wanted to know how to make one! I can't wait to give it a go!! :) i love your batten lace piece! :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely, and thanks for teaching us.
Will try it as I have lots of books, without covers.
This is so personalised
Love the batten lace
Mena :)

Grace said...

Mai, what type of stitches do you use to sew the cloth together? i always use backstitch, but i never know whether that is the right stitch, is it? i want them to be really strong!

jennifer said...

Thank you for showing us how to make these book covers. I want to make some and use them and make some for gifts also. Yours are very pretty as well. I enjoy your blog also. You do some lovely work.

jenny

mairuru said...

Hello Grace,
I use back stitch at each 2-3 running stitches(I think this English is incorrect...).
If I sew it all with back stitch, it takes too much time for me.
But when I make my clothes or something for baby, I use back stitch more often.

cath06 said...

It's great.. (and you say thank you, when we should say thank you for all your beautiful things)
I'll try tonight your tutorial and I hope I will do my cover as well as yours.
Thanks again

julie said...

Thank-you for another beautiful project. I can see myself giving one of these to all my friends and family for Xmas.
The tutorial was very well set out and easy to follow.

Ali said...

Thank you Mai for another lovely tutorial! I love making the things you teach us to do!
Ali
c

Anne said...

This is so pretty!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-paperback-book-cover/2009/08/25/
--Anne

Elyse said...

I adore this! And might just have to try it. ;)

Rachael said...

I love your tutorial...it's just wonderful. Now i can cover my precious books...Will be trying it once i hv some free time :D Thank you!

perches said...

your work is so lovely, very nice tutorial

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I love all the details you show in your tutorials, they're wonderful! Thanks so much for this, I'll be linking.

goldberie said...

Wow! Great work. I've never seen an adjustable book cover before. Your directions are excellent, so I'll have to make one. Thank you for sharing!

Best Craft Blog said...

Making fabric notebook covers is my new favorite thing to do! And I love finding all kinds of different ways to do it! YAY. thanks for a cute tutorial!

Anne

Jenna said...

this is gorgeous! i just finished my first one, and i think i've got the hang of what i need to do to make it work for me. i love your ideas!

Claudia/Ompompali said...

I have been looking for a good tutorial for ages. Thanks so much! Greetings from Germany!

trevinsmomma said...

thanks so much for this tutorial! very cute! i made my own tonight and love it!

Ann said...

I have been looking how to make a book cover for awhile and your tutorial says it all.
Thanks for sharing and loved your blog.
Merry christmas

obat keputihan said...

this is interesting ahahha...i like that

contactos en madrid said...

It will not work in fact, that is exactly what I think.

Anonymous said...

Mai, Thank you very much for your tutorial! I really liked your idea and will try to make one soon! Merry Christmas!
Candida

Mitsubishi Minicab Mini Truck Parts said...

Concerns about this controversial measure and the associated contributions to climate change are driving many groups to reassess the policy.

opticians cheadle hulme said...

I have essentially made the decision to dedicate a significant portion of my limited resources to helping people better appreciate the consequences of their choices.

AG said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I have a quick question - if my length is 50 instead of 42, then should I still place the tape after 9 cm?